The timing was just right for us that we didnt have to wake up the kids too early. (…) It was nice to see wild koalas, kangaroos, etc. Our tour guide, Joel, gave the best tips and allowed us to plan our time on each stop. Will definitely book another tour soon!
Sunset at the Twelve Apostles
Explore the Surf Coast
Visit Loch Ard Gorge
Avoid the Crowds at the Twelve Apostles With a Later Departure Time
Our Great Ocean Road Sunset Tour is your opportunity to enjoy one of Australia’s most spectacular views at the perfect time of day. The scenic journey in our bus along the Great Ocean Road is a highlight in itself and the perfect prelude to the main event. Idyllic coastal scenery, mysterious local history, and world-famous sights, the essential ingredients for an unforgettable Great Ocean Road one day trip.
- Adult (16+): AUD $125
- Child (0-15): AUD $105
(Enquire for group discounts for groups of 5 people or more)
- Apr-Oct: 9:00-10:00 AM
- Nov-Mar: 10:00-11:00 AM
Inner-city pickup service from most accommodation providers and specified pickup points.
Maximum of 24 guests
- All park entrance fees and taxes
- Access to our free translation app
- Friendly and informative driver/guide
- Return transfers in air-conditioned comfort
- Complimentary onboard wifi throughout your journey
Meals other than as stated
What to bring
- Dress appropriately for all weather conditions
- Snacks and a refillable water bottle
- Warm weather: sunscreen and a hat
- Winter: warm clothes and layers as coastal winds can make conditions quite cold
- Swimming costume if you want to take a dip
Good to Know
- Please note you must arrive at your pickup location at least 10 minutes prior to your allocated pickup time.
- No prams or strollers permitted.
- We are able to provide an infant seat (0-3 years) or a child booster seat (4-8 years) free of charge. Please note we have only a limited number available each day and they must be pre-booked. Contact us with your request and provide the age of your child along with your confirmation number and booking details.
- Download the Go West Tours app from the App Store or Google Play prior to your departure for access to our tour language commentary. Available in Arabic, Malay, Cantonese, French, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, and Hindi.
Visit the beaches of Victoria’s famous Surf Coast
Spot wild koalas while strolling in the sweetly-scented eucalyptus forest
Drive through the Great Otway National Park
Marvel at the natural beauty of Loch Ard Gorge and hear the famous tale of shipwreck survival
View two of the Apostles from beach level at Gibsons Steps (time permitting)
Visit the charming coastal township of Apollo Bay
What You’ll Do
Departing Melbourne at around 10.00 am, we enjoy panoramic views of the city and Port Phillip Bay as we cross the Westgate Bridge, Australia’s longest at just under 2.6 kilometres in length. We pass by and learn a little about Victoria’s second-largest city, Geelong, as we make our way towards the Surf Coast, with its enchanting beachside towns and powerful swells.
We make a brief stop at the town of Anglesea, for a chance to walk alongside the beautiful Anglesea River, before continuing the scenic journey along the Great Ocean Road.
At the township of Kennett River, we break for lunch (at your own expense) with an opportunity to stroll among the sweetly-scented eucalyptus trees to locate local koalas in their native habitat. There is a large koala population here and numerous sightings are guaranteed. From here, we travel onwards through the Otway Ranges to the Shipwreck Coast and the iconic rock formations of the Port Campbell National Park.
Our first stop is Loch Ard Gorge where 52 lives were lost and only 2 souls survived the wreck of the Loch Ard in 1878. Your guide will recount the legend of the Loch Ard, bringing the gorge to life in a way you never imagined. We take time to explore here, with more rock formations to see, including the Razorback, the Dumpling Pots and the delightful Island Archway.
As the sun approaches the horizon we make our way to our final sightseeing destination. Prepare to be amazed by the majestic monoliths of the Twelve Apostles. Enjoy a genuine spectacle watching the colours of the sky and the land transform in the evening light.
We break up the homeward journey with a dinner stop (at your own expense) in the regional town of Colac. We then continue on, enjoying views of the illuminated city as we again cross the Westgate Bridge on the approach to Melbourne.
With drop off right back to your inner city accommodation, you’ll remember this day as a true highlight of your Australian holiday.
FAQs for the Great Ocean Road Sunset Tour
Our Sunset Great Ocean Road day tour leaves Melbourne a few hours later than the Great Ocean Road tour and offers spectacular views of the 12 Apostles at sunset. It also has fewer stops as time is shorter.
- Pickups are between 7 am – 8 am
- Morning tea and lunch are included
- Includes rainforest walk at Maits Rest
- Arrives back in Melbourne between 9 pm – 9:30 pm
Great Ocean Road Sunset tour:
- Pickups are between 9 am – 10 am (April-October) and 10 am – 11 am (November-March)
- No meals are included but we make stops along the way for you to buy food
- Does not include rainforest walk at Maits Rest
- Arrives at the 12 Apostles at sunset for an amazing photo opportunity
- Arrives back in Melbourne between 9 pm – midnight depending on the month
As the time that the sun sets changes significantly during the course of the year, our return time throughout the year also varies significantly.
On an indicative basis, this tour returns at approximately the following times:
- Nov – Feb: midnight
- March: 11:30 pm
- April: 10:30 pm
- May – Aug: 9:30 pm
- September: 10:00 pm
- October: 11:00 pm
We do not encourage the feeding of wild animals as it can be harmful to their natural behaviour and well-being. Often, the food used is the equivalent of junk food resulting in an unhealthy diet and, in some cases, making the animals sick. Animals that have been regularly fed by humans come to expect it and in the long term, this reduces their ability to forage for food.
We do not include meals on this tour, but there are opportunities to purchase meals at appropriate times throughout the day. Guests are also welcome to bring food with them if they prefer.
Have more questions?
Reviews From Our Previous Guests
This tour was extremely well organized, relaxed and very informative. We saw the best of everything and the timing couldn’t be more perfect with the sunset. (…) I highly recommend this tour company especially with LEONIE as you guide and driver !!
This trip was great. It filled up an entire day for sure, but worth every minute. (…) The sunset is breathtaking. The winds were high during our tour so we did get quite cold. I would recommend bringing layers to be comfortable.