These are Melbourne’s best tours you have to take in 2023! From viewing the 12 Apostles at sunset to watching penguins waddle right past your feet.
Melbourne is open to visitors and ready to welcome you to explore this incredible destination. Melbourne is the second largest city in Australia, and the one with the most passion and exuberance. Known for its cafe culture, street art and major events – the city has a lot to offer visitors.
One thing that is important to plan in advance is the day trips that you want to take from Melbourne. There are so many great destinations, it can be hard to choose. But once you do, be sure to book in early, as some of our tours book out in advance.
If you are planning a visit to Australia in 2023 – here are Melbourne’s best tours we recommend taking while you are here!
Great Ocean Road at Sunset
Our Great Ocean Road Sunset tour stands out from the rest. While most tours will depart the 12 Apostles Lookout in the afternoon, we plan our visit for sunset. After the crowds have left and when the rock formations are at their most spectacular. The tour departs Melbourne later than other torus, so you won’t see the crowds throughout the whole day. Stops include surf beaches, the Memorial Arch, viewing koalas in the wild and the coastal town of Apollo Bay. In the afternoon we explore the incredible Loch Ard Gorge, Gibson Steps (if time allows) and then on to the Apostles for the grand finale.
Highlights of the Great Ocean Road Sunset Tour
- Visit the beaches of Victoria’s famous Surf Coast
- Spot wild koalas while strolling in the sweetly-scented eucalyptus forest
- Drive through the Great Otway National Park
- Marvel at the natural beauty of Loch Ard Gorge and hear the famous tale of shipwreck survival
- View two of the Apostles from beach level at Gibsons Steps (time permitting)
- Visit the charming coastal township of Apollo Bay
Phillip Island Penguin Parade
Phillip Island is home to tens of thousands – the worlds largest colony – of Little Penguins. Our Phillip Island Penguin Parade tour let’s you get up close to these incredible birds as they return from the ocean each evening. The Penguin Parade facilities are the best place to view this incredible natural spectacle. You can also get close to other Australian animals like kangaroos and koalas at Moonlit Sanctuary. In addition, our tour visit the colourful Brighton Bathing Boxes.
Highlights of the Phillip Island Day Tour
- A visit to the famous Brighton Beach boxes
- A guided tour at the award-winning Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park
- Meet and feed a wide range of Australian animals including koalas, wombats, dingoes, and many more
- Visit Point Grant to view the Nobbies and Seal Rock
- Stroll the coastal boardwalks to enjoy amazing panoramic views
- See the penguins waddle up the Phillip Island Penguin Parade at sunset
Gourmet Yarra Valley
The Yarra Valley provides a great day trip for foodies and wine-lovers alike with its wineries and farm gates. Wine is only half the story of this gourmet wonderland and our Yarra Valley Gourmet tour provides a perfect blend of the region’s wines and gourmet produce. Indulge in tow wines tastings, a gourmet lunch and sampling of cheeses, chocolates, fruit juices and more on this gourmet tour.
Highlights of the Yarra Valley tour
- Taste some of the valley’s freshest fruits, juices, and other local products at Yarra Farm Fresh
- Sample wine and cheese at the iconic Balgownie Estate – one of the great wineries of the Yarra Valley
- Taste the valley’s freshest cheeses at the Yarra Valley Dairy
- Enjoy a delicious lunch at Rochford Wines – choose from four different meal options and enjoy a glass of Rochford’s quality wine
- Sip away at a wine tasting in one of Australia’s great wineries, Yering Station
- Enjoy an exclusive chocolate tasting at the valley’s sweetest location, The Yarra Valley Chocolaterie
Grampians National Park
Join our Grampians National Park tour to explore the flora and fauna of this incredible mountain range. Join your guide to venture along walking trails to canyons, waterfalls and scenic views of forests and valleys. Spot wildlife such as kangaroos and birds and take spectacular photos at the panoramic lookout points. It’s a great way to discover a lesser-known destination, and the Grampians are a nature-lovers paradise waiting to be explored.
Highlights of the Grampians National Park Tour
- Take a stroll through shady forests to Silverband Falls
- Time to explore the wildlife and surroundings of Grampians township of Halls Gap
- Take a short hike from the Wonderland Turntable into the spectacular Grand Canyon
- Hike to one of the Grampians most famous sites, MacKenzie Falls
- Enjoy panoramic views from Reeds Lookout and views over the mountain range from Boroka Lookout
- Spot wild animals in their natural habitat
Great Ocean Road
Our original and most popular tour, the Great Ocean Road does not disappoint. It is one of Australia’s as well as Melbourne’s best tours because you can experience all the highlights of this iconic road – in just one day. It is home to some of the best surf beaches, scenic seaside towns and wildlife to spot including wild koalas. You can also walk amongst towering eucalyptus trees and explore the incredible Twelve Apostles Lookout, Gibson Steps and Loch Ard Gorge.
Highlights of the Great Ocean Road Day Tour
- Enjoy morning tea on the picturesque beaches of Victoria’s Surf Coast
- Scenic drive along the Great Ocean Road
- See the Twelve Apostles in Port Campbell National Park
- Visit the Loch Ard Gorge, the site of the Loch Ard shipwreck
- See koalas in their natural habitat in the eucalyptus forests of the Kennett River township
- Visit the charming coastal township of Apollo Bay
- Walk through rainforest and eucalyptus trees at Maits Rest
Written by: Leah Furey – Digital Content Coordinator @gowest.com.au