Use these Great Ocean Road tour comparisons to decide whether to take a Day Tour or Sunset tour of this amazing destination near Melbourne.
The Great Ocean Road is an iconic touring destination just an hour’s drive from Melbourne, Australia. After 22 years of operating tours to this fantastic destination, we know a thing or two about touring the road. We’ve put together two tours that let you experience nature, wildlife, coast, ocean and rainforest – along the Great Ocean Road.
From cruising the Surf Coast to viewing the incredible 12 Apostles, this is a day with plenty of action and breathtaking moments. Here we compare our two Great Ocean Road tours to help you decide which one to take.
Great Ocean Road Day Tour from Melbourne
Our Great Ocean Road day tour is for anyone who wants to experience the original and the best day tour from Melbourne. This is the first tour Go West ran back in 2000 when the company first began. While the itinerary has been improved over the years, the aim of the tour is still the same – showcase the best of the Great Ocean Road.
- Spend the day touring the famous Great Ocean Road, with incredible views around every turn
- Enjoy coffee, tea and cake at our first stop on the picturesque beaches of Victoria’s Surf Coast
- Visit the Memorial Arch and learn about the history and construction of the Great Ocean Road
- See koalas in their natural habitat in the eucalyptus forests of the Kennett River township
- Visit the charming coastal township of Apollo Bay for a lunch break, with your choice of many cuisines on offer
- Take a walk through towering eucalyptus trees and lush ferns in the Otway Rainforest at Maits Rest Walk
- Visit the coastal look out for the most famous view – the Twelve Apostles in Port Campbell National Park
- Time permitting, walk down the staircase carved into the cliffs at Gibson Steps
- Visit the incredible beach at Loch Ard Gorge, the site of the Loch Ard shipwreck
What’s not included: Compared to the Sunset Tour, the Day Tour doesn’t include a visit to the Twelve Apostles Lookout for sunset. It does include a visit to the Twelve Apostles in the afternoon, with plenty of time to explore, marvel at the views and take photos. However, if you want to be at this location for the sunset, this is not included in this tour.
Sunset Tour of the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne
Our Sunset Tour of the Great Ocean Road is great for anyone that has limited time or wants to avoid the crowds on the Great Ocean Road. It also has the bonus of sunset at the 12 Apostles. The tour departs the city later than other tours, meaning you can start your day with a sleep in and we won’t be touring the road at the same time as most of the other bus groups. The highlight of this tour is being at the most famous location on the Great Ocean Road after the crowds have left and while the sun sets.
What’s included on the Sunset Tour:
- Depart Melbourne later in the day to tour the famous Great Ocean Road, with incredible views around every bend
- Visit the Memorial Arch to learn about the construction of the Great Ocean Road
- See wild koalas in the eucalyptus forests of the Kennett River township
- Enjoy a lunch break in one of the Great Ocean Road’s scenic coastal towns
- Drive through the Great Otway National Park
- Marvel at the natural beauty of Loch Ard Gorge and hear the famous tale of shipwreck survival
- Visit the famous 12 Apostles at dusk to watch the sunset and stay to see the colours lighting up the sky
What’s not included on the Sunset Tour: Compared to the Day Tour, the Sunset Tour does not include morning tea or a walk in the rainforest at Maits Rest. Also the lunch stop is not in Apollo Bay, but in another seaside town on the Great Ocean Road.
What is included in both Great Ocean Road Tours
- A scenic drive along the Great Ocean Road from the Surf Coast to the 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge
- Both tours include plenty of opportunities to get out of the bus and explore the great destinations along this iconic road
- A friendly and knowledgeable tour guide who will be your host and driver for the day
- All our tour depart from Melbourne and are family friendly
- Hotel pickups and drop offs are included in both of these tours. You can nominate your preferred pick up location when making your booking.
- For both tours guests will travel in our 24-seater buses with upgraded seating
Wondering what other tours you could take in Melbourne?
Melbourne has some fantastic day trip destinations that you might want to visit along with a tour of the Great Ocean Road. If you’ve got time during your visit to Melbourne, consider taking one of these other great tours.
Phillip Island Penguin Parade Day Tour
Our ultimate Melbourne wildlife tour first visits the Brighton Bathing Boxes. Then Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park and Phillip Island’s famous Penguin Parade.
Peninsula Hot Springs Day Tour
Enjoy a morning of relaxation and pampering at the award-winning Peninsula Hot Springs. Followed by an afternoon exploring some of the Peninsula’s best lookouts.
Grampians National Park
Put on your walking shoes and join your guide to discover waterfalls, wilderness and wildlife in the Grampians National Park.
Yarra Valley Gourmet Tour
Join our Gourmet Tour to the Yarra Valley to taste wines, cheese, chocolate and more – as well as indulge in a gourmet winery lunch.
Wilsons Promontory Day Tour
Explore Wilson Promontory National Park to discover pristine beaches, native Australian wildlife, idyllic coastal views and untouched bushland.
Puffing Billy + Penguins Day Tour
For a day of iconic Melbourne experiences, our Puffing Billy Tour will have you riding a century-old steam train, meeting native Australian animals and watching the world famous penguin parade.
Written by: Leah Furey – Digital Content Coordinator @gowest.com.au