Balgownie Estate is a winery and accommodation destination in the Yarra Valley – one of the highlights of our Yarra Valley Gourmet Tour.
Since Balgownie Estate is a new addition to our Yarra Valley Gourmet Tour this year, we thought we’d introduce you to this excellent destination winery in the heart of Melbourne’s finest wine region.
If you are visiting Melbourne and would like to take a day trip to a renowned winery region, the Yarra Valley is the place to go. Just 45 minutes from the city, this popular destination is home to over 90 wineries.
But it’s not just wine that makes this a great day tour destination. There is also an excellent range of local producers to visit. On our gourmet tour, in addition to tasting wines, we also taste cheese, fruit, chocolate and other locally made products.
Balgownie Estate – Yarra Valley
Balgownie is the latest addition to our Yarra Valley Gourmet Tour. The iconic Yarra Valley winery has an excellent wine range and knowledgeable staff who will guide you through a tasting session.
Here’s a look at Balgownie Estate – the winery, accommodation and spa in the Yarra Valley.
Balgownie Estate – Wine & Cellar Door
Balgownie Estate Yarra Valley is home to 17 acres of vineyards – about 50-50 Pinot Noir and Chardonnay We love to visit Balgownie for a wine tasting session and know that we are supporting a local wine-making business with over 50-years of history.
Wine is at the heart of everything at Balgownie. Their focus is on elegant cool climate wines from the Yarra Valley. They also have a range of deeply complex and distinguished cellaring styles from the old vines growing in the original Balgownie Bendigo vineyards.
Both styles are available to try in the Yarra Valley at the Restaurant and Bar, and of course in the Cellar Door during our tasting. Here are some of the highlights of Balgownie’s wine range:
- Highly sought-after Estate Yarra Valley Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
- Famous Balgownie Estate Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz with the first wines vintaged in 1972.
- Spectacular sparkling varieties including Cuvee Brut, Sparkling Shiraz, plus all-new Macedon Sparkling Pinot Noir Rouge and Chardonnay.
- Delicious and popular blends including Pinot Gris, Rose, Cabernet Merlot, Sangiovese, Nouveau Syrah and more.
- Single vineyard Shiraz wines from the Centre, Railway and Rock Blocks.
- Old Vine Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon from the original 1969 plantings.
- A bespoke collection of museum wines from our most celebrated vintages.
- And a small range of magnums.
Balgownie Estate – Restaurant 1309
Balgownie Estate in the Yarra Valley features a brand new Restaurant 1309, a luxurious foodie destination with upscale modern-Australian dining. They also have a spectacular wine and cocktail bar with an extensive drinks menu. The deck sis the palace to relax with a glass of wine and enjoy open-air dining against the magnificent vineyard and Yarra Valley views.
Restaurant 1309 is open for buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner 7-days, and a grazing menu is available in between meal times.
Balgownie Estate – Spa & Accommodation
Balgownie Estate is one of the largest award-winning hotels in the region featuring 70 accommodation rooms and suites. Intimate queen rooms and king garden terrace rooms, classic one and two-bedroom spa suites with private balconies, luxurious refurbished deluxe spa suites, and a fully self-contained Directors Suite.
The accommodation can be enjoyed with genuine hospitality and magnificent valley views. A stay at Balgownie Estate offers fine food and wine, creature comforts and of course, a chance to appreciate great wine.
In addition to the great accommodation the all-new endota spa is now open and accepting bookings at Balgownie Estate Yarra Valley. The spa features eight treatment rooms including two single rooms, three double rooms, an infrared sauna, tanning room, and unique packages for couples and groups.
This latest addition cements Balgownie’s place as the ultimate wellness retreat in the heart of the renowned Yarra Valley wine region.
About the Yarra Valley
The Yarra Valley is a scenic 45 minute drive from Melbourne and provides a great day trip for foodies and wine-lovers alike. The region is renowned for its wines and wineries – most of which specialise in chardonnay and pinot noir. There are big name wineries like Yering Station, Balgownie Estate and Domaine Chandon, as well as a host of smaller boutique wineries scattered around the scenic valley. In addition to the winemakers, there are plenty of local producers making gourmet delights such as cheese, chocolate, relishes, fruit juices and more.
The Yarra Valley Gourmet Tour
The Yarra Valley Gourmet Tour is one to get your taste buds tingling. Wine is only half the story of this gourmet wonderland and our tour provides a perfect blend of the very best of the region’s wines and other gourmet produce. Sample expertly made cheeses, chocolates, wines, and more on this Yarra Valley day tour in foodie heaven!
Melbourne’s finest wine region, the Yarra Valley, is a foodie haven! Not only are there endless wineries to choose from, but an excellent choice of local produce as well. Join our tour to taste wines, cheese, chocolate and more – as well as indulge in a gourmet winery lunch.
- Taste some of the valley’s freshest fruits, juices, and other local products at Yarra Farm Fresh
- Sample wine at the iconic Balgownie Estate – one of the great wineries of the Yarra Valley
- Taste the valley’s freshest cheeses at the Yarra Valley Dairy
- Enjoy a delicious lunch at Rochford Wines – choose from four different meal options and enjoy a glass of Rochford’s quality wine
- Sip away at a wine tasting in one of Australia’s great wineries, Yering Station
- Enjoy an exclusive chocolate tasting at the valley’s sweetest location, The Yarra Valley Chocolaterie
Written by: Leah Furey – Digital Content Coordinator @gowest.com.au