Melbourne, the capital city of Victoria, is known for its rich culture, diverse food scene, and vibrant arts community. But did you know that there are also plenty of beautiful natural and man-made sights to see just outside the city limits?
Here are a few ideas for day road trips from Melbourne that you can take to explore the surrounding area:
- The Great Ocean Road: One of the most iconic road trips in Australia, the Great Ocean Road takes you along the southern coast of Victoria and offers breathtaking views of the ocean and rugged cliffs. Along the way, you’ll be able to see famous landmarks such as the Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, and London Bridge. The drive from Melbourne to the start of the Great Ocean Road at Torquay is about an hour and a half.
- The Dandenong Ranges: Just a short drive from Melbourne, the Dandenong Ranges offer a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and experience some of Victoria’s beautiful natural scenery. The ranges are home to several national parks, including the Dandenong Ranges National Park and the Sherbrooke Forest. Take a leisurely drive through the winding roads, stopping to admire the views or explore the various walking tracks.
- The Yarra Valley: Victoria is known for its wine regions, and the Yarra Valley is one of the most popular and picturesque. The drive from Melbourne to the valley takes about an hour, and once there, you can spend the day visiting wineries and tasting local wines. The valley is also home to several charming towns such as Yarra Glen and Healesville, where you can stop for a bite to eat or browse the local shops.
- Phillip Island: Known for its wildlife, especially the penguins and seals, Phillip Island is a must-see destination. The drive to the island takes about two hours, and once there, you can take a tour to see the penguins up close and explore the island’s rugged coastline.
- The Mornington Peninsula: Only an hour drive from Melbourne, Mornington peninsula offers a diverse landscape and a variety of things to do, from the picturesque beaches to the vineyards, the hot springs, the lighthouse and even a cheese factory.
- Hanging Rock: Famous for being the location of the movie and book “Picnic at Hanging Rock” the rock formation it’s a great spot for a hike and some nice views. The rock is located about 1.5 hours from Melbourne.
These are just a few ideas for day road trips from Melbourne, but there are many other sights and experiences to discover in Victoria. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to bring comfortable shoes, a camera, and plenty of snacks and water for the journey. And always be sure to check the weather forecast before you head out, as the weather can change quickly in Victoria.