Guide to Wilsons Promontory National Park
We’ve created a guide to Wilsons Promontory National Park, so you can be prepared for your visit!
Go West Tours now operate day tours from Melbourne to Wilsons Promontory. It’s a great day filled with walks, wildlife, beaches, bushland and mountains. This spectacular National Park is a great way to escape the crowds and discover another incredible day trip from Melbourne.
WILSONS PROMONTORY WALKS
- Mt Bishop summit; this is a 3.7km walk from the base of Mt Bishop to the summit, where there are spectacular panoramic views of the surrounding mountains, forest, coast, beaches and off shore islands. We usually carry our lunches to the top to have a picnic with a great view!
- Squeaky Beach to Tidal River; starting at the northern end of Squeaky Beach , you walk across the white sand (which squeaks beneath your feet – hence the name) and make your way to the southern end of the beach to meet up with the bushland trail. The 3km trail takes you over the headland and in to the Tidal River campground.
WILSONS PROMONTORY WILDLIFE
- Kangaroos and Emus; the best place to view Eastern Grey kangaroos and Australia’s largest bird the Emu, is the wildlife Walk. We visit a large field which used to be old airfield, where you often see kangaroos and emus grazing.
- Wombats; Wilsons Promontory National Park is home to a large population of wombats. These animals are nocturnal and therefore best seen later in the day when the sun starts to set. You sometimes see them grazing on the roots and grass beside the road.
- Wallabies; keep an eye out for Swamp Wallabies along the Mt Bishop and Tidal River Trails. These small marsupials are dark brown in colour and prefer to be amongst bushland and trees. You sometimes see a small face peering out at you from between the ferns on the side of the trail.
WHAT TO PACK
- A good pair of walking shoes; you’ll need them for Mt Bishop and the trail to Tidal River
- Money for lunch and snacks; we purchase lunch on the way to Wilsons Promontory and there’s kiosk to purchase snacks or ice cream at Tidal River
- Hat, sunscreen and sunglasses; summer at the Prom can be very hot and you’ll need protection from the UV rays
- Your camera! There are so many great photo opportunities on tour, don’t forget your camera to capture some memories from the day