Enjoy the warmer months in Australia’s second largest city, with these fantastic Summer Tours in Melbourne.
Summer in Melbourne is a time of celebration. The city relaxes into the summer holidays and people come to visit for the fantastic atmosphere. There’s night markets, music festivals, and a whole lot of sport – cricket and tennis in particular.
But there is also a lot of great tours that you can take from Melbourne. The warmer weather lets you enjoy the great outdoors. It also makes sightseeing and the whole lot more enjoyable. Daylight savings during the summer months means there is extra time in the day to explore and experience all that Melbourne and surrounds has to offer.
So what are you waiting for? Check out our suggestions of the best summer tours in Melbourne 2022.
Great Ocean Road – Day Tour or Sunset Tour
Explore Victoria’s Surf Coast, winding coastal road, rainforest and more on the ultimate summer road trip.
The Great Ocean Road is home to some of the best surf beaches in Australia. There’s also wildlife to spot including koalas and a host of native birds. It’s an incredible scenic drive along the coast, however part of the road also ventures inland. On tour we explore the stunning rainforest and towering eucalyptus trees. The highlight of the Great Ocean Road is of course the incredible Twelve Apostles rock formations. But we also take the time to visit the beaches and lookouts surrounding it – Gibson Steps and Loch Ard Gorge.
If you want to avoid the summer crowds we recommend you take our Sunset Tour of the Great Ocean Road. It departs the city later than other tours and finishes the day at the 12 Apostles Lookout after everyone else has left. Along the way we visit the Surf Coast, Memorial Arch and seaside towns. We also look for koalas in the eucalyptus trees at Kennett River. The afternoon is spent exploring the Shipwreck Coast – including Gibson Steps and Loch Ard Gorge. You then get to enjoy one of Australia’s most iconic views – the spectacular Twelve Apostles – at the perfect time of day.
Day Tour Highlights:
- Enjoy morning tea on the picturesque beaches of Victoria’s Surf Coast
- Scenic drive along the Great Ocean Road
- Enjoy a photo stop at the Memorial Arch
- See the Twelve Apostles in Port Campbell National Park
- Visit the Loch Ard Gorge, the site of the Loch Ard shipwreck
- See koalas in their natural habitat in the eucalyptus forests of the Kennett River township
- Visit the charming coastal township of Apollo Bay
- Walk through the Otway Rainforest on the Maits Rest Walk
Sunset Tour Highlights:
- Visit the beaches of Victoria’s famous Surf Coast
- Enjoy a photo stop at the Memorial Ar
- Spot wild koalas while strolling in the sweetly-scented eucalyptus forest
- Drive through the Great Otway National Park
- Marvel at the natural beauty of Loch Ard Gorge and hear the famous tale of shipwreck survival
- View two of the Apostles from beach level at Gibsons Steps
- Visit the charming coastal township of Apollo Bay
Phillip Island Day Tour
Our Phillip Island Tour is the ultimate Melbourne wildlife tour. Meet a host of Aussie animals and visit the world-famous Penguin Parade.
On this Phillip Island day tour, we start the day with a visit to Melbourne’s iconic and colourful bathing boxes at Brighton Beach. We then spent time at the Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park. This is where you can hand-feed a kangaroo, cuddle up to a koala, and watch the Conservation in Action Show. We then visit the beaches and coastal lookouts of Phillip Island before reaching the highlight of the tour – the nightly Penguin Parade. Watch as thousands of Little Penguins waddle right past your feet in what is sure to be a memorable end to the tour.
Phillip Island Tour Highlights:
- A visit to the famous Brighton Beach boxes
- A guided tour at the award-winning Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park
- Meet and feed a wide range of Australian animals including koalas, wombats, dingoes, and many more
- Visit Point Grant to view the Nobbies and Seal Rock
- Stroll the coastal boardwalks to enjoy amazing panoramic views
- See the penguins waddle up the Phillip Island Penguin Parade at sunset
Grampians National Park Day Tour
Visit the Grampians National Park to connect to nature and marvel at waterfalls, wilderness and wildlife.
The sandstone peaks of the Grampians mountain range are best explored on foot. On our tour of the National Park you can walk with your guide along nature trails to learn about the history and geology of the area. You can also spot wildlife such as kangaroos and native birds. Take in the incredible views from scenic lookouts and explore the area’s largest waterfalls – MacKenzie Falls. The Grampians are a nature-lovers paradise waiting to be explored.
Grampians Tour Highlights:
- Take a stroll through shady forests to Silverband Falls
- Time to explore the wildlife and surroundings of Grampians township of Halls Gap
- Take a short hike from the Wonderland Turntable into the spectacular Grand Canyon
- Hike to one of the Grampians most famous sites, MacKenzie Falls
- Enjoy panoramic views from Reeds Lookout and views over the mountain range from Boroka Lookout
- Spot wild animals including kangaroos in their natural habitat
Yarra Valley Day Tour
Join our Yarra Valley Gourmet Tour to taste wines, cheese, chocolate and more – as well as indulge in a gourmet winery lunch.
Melbourne’s finest wine region, the Yarra Valley, boasts an excellent choice of local produce as well. To maximise this, our tour blends the best wines with gourmet produce. The region is renowned for its wines and wineries – most of which specialise in chardonnay and pinot noir. You will be able to do tastings at Yering Station and Balgownie Estate. Our tour also visits local producers to taste gourmet delights including cheese, chocolate, relishes, fruit juices and fresh fruit. A gourmet lunch is included at the famous Rochford Wines.
Yarra Valley Tour Highlights:
- Taste some of the valley’s freshest fruits, juices, and other local products at Yarra Farm Fresh
- Sample wine and cheese at the iconic Balgownie Estate – one of the great wineries of the Yarra Valley
- Taste the valley’s freshest cheeses at the Yarra Valley Dairy
- Enjoy a delicious lunch at Rochford Wines – choose from four different meal options and enjoy a glass of Rochford’s quality wine
- Sip away at a wine tasting in one of Australia’s great wineries, Yering Station
- Enjoy an exclusive chocolate tasting at the valley’s sweetest location, The Yarra Valley Chocolaterie
Written by: Leah Furey – Digital Content Coordinator @gowest.com.au